JSU “Band Sonic Boom of the South” vs SU “Human Jukebox”
The BoomBox Classic aka The Battle of the Big Cats takes place this weekend, and the reason people go is for the bands. Even though both teams only have 1 win between them, this game is always packed. Here’s the history of the two.
- The BoomBox Classic got is name from JSU ”Sonic Boom of the South” and SU’s band “Human Juke Box“.
- They first met in 1929 when Southern slaughtered Jackson State 98-0.
- The series is tied 28-28 sinced 2011.
- The Jackson State University Marching Band was dubbed The Sonic Boom of the South in 1971 by students in the band.
- When the New Orleans Saints returned home to the Louisiana Superdome on August 25, 2006, after Hurricane Katrina devastation. Southern University’s world-renowned Human Jukebox entertained more than 70,000 fans during halftime.
- The “Sonic Boom” has performed many halftime appearances for the Atlanta Falcons, Detroit Lions, New Orleans Saints and Cincinnati Bengals; a television special for Motown’s 30th Anniversary and the 34th NAACP Image Awards.
Below are video galleries of the latest band videos. Please enjoy.
If you do not have a hotel yet please visit our hotel deals here. (BoomBox Classic Hotel Deals for under $100 and under $200).
Which band are you waiting to see?
- Southern University "Human Jukebox" (71%, 50 Votes)
- Both - They are both Good! (20%, 14 Votes)
- Jackson State "Sonic Boom of the South" (9%, 6 Votes)
Total Voters: 70